skip to Main Content

False Certification Discharge: Ability to Benefit

Who It’s For: Students who were given loans for higher education despite failure to provide any proof they were prepared to begin their college studies, such as a high school diploma or GED.

How to Apply: Fill out the false certification discharge application and send it to your servicer.

What Loans Qualify: Federal loans in the Direct loan program or the Family Federal Education Loan Program (FFELP).

How Much?: Up to the full loan amount taken out at the school in question.

Anything Else I Should Know?:  Many read the name of this discharge and mistakenly think they can apply if they are dissatisfied with their education. The “ability to benefit” in the title is not referring to the quality of the education; it only means that the student in question was unable to benefit from any form of higher education.  We have additional info about this discharge here.