skip to Main Content

False Certification: Disqualifying Status

Who It’s For: Students who attended school for a course of study that they could not benefit from due to a pre-existing status or condition, which the school was aware of when they accepted the loan. (For example: if a legally blind person was billed for a truck driving program.)

How to Apply: Fill out the false certification application and send it to your servicer. You may need to provide additional documentation verifying that the disqualifying status applied to you at the time you attended school.

What Loans Qualify: Federal loans in the Direct loan program or the Family Federal Education Loan Program (FFELP).

How Much?: Up to the full loan amount taken out for the course of study in question.

Anything Else I Should Know?:  This only applies if you had the disqualifying status when you attended school and the school was made aware of it. If you are no longer able to work due to a change in your physical condition since attending school, you should look at total and permanent disability discharge instead.  There are more details about false certification discharge here.