skip to Main Content

Unpaid Refund

Who It’s For: Students who withdrew from a course of study early enough that they were entitled to a refund on some amount of their federal loans, but who never received the refund in question.

How to Apply: Fill out the unpaid refund discharge application and send it to your loan servicer. You may need to attach additional documents to support your claim, such as a copy of the school’s tuition bill or refund policy.

What Loans Qualify:  Federal loans in the Direct loan program or the Family Federal Education Loan Program (FFELP).

How Much?: Up to the amount that school still owes as part of your withdrawal refund.

Anything Else I Should Know?:  Each school has its own withdrawal dates and policies that you should be aware of before you withdraw from a course of study. Read through all the relevant policies carefully before you pursue this option.  There’s some additional information on this discharge here.